John Porter managed the Kroger Store in at the White House, located at 52 East Central Ave. In Camden until 1935, when he went into business with Herschel Brown, operating the White Villa store until 1945.
At this time John Porter opened Camden Food Market. Porter operated the Camden Food Market until 1966 when he sold it to Howard and, Sunday school teacher, Delores White.
The Whites operated this location until 1974, when they opened a modern food market on Cottage Ave (the current IGA).
This store was the first of its kind in the area with a bakery, deli and electronic Cash registers. The Whites ran the store until 1988, when they sold it to the current owners